Box Office Bombs you saw in theatres

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Saw Waterworld in theaters. I actually ended up liking it, while my dad who took me hated every second of it.

I caught most of Waterworld on TV while working out a couple of months ago (having not watched it in years) and understood why it bombed. I was impressed by how much budget was spent making the sets and costumes look so awful: It's all spray-painted sheet metal and dirty textiles stitched together with no rhyme or reason against the endless blue-grey-white background of the Pacific. Eyesore.

I also didn't like how much it traded on "Common everyday thing, but now it's rare and magical! Wow!" Kevin Costner's performance was also pretty wooden and I forgot how the movie's idea of a villain is "Bald, unlikable Texan divorce lawyer-looking dude". Honestly the characterisation in general was pretty bad, as if the goofball characters from Mad Max were the writing baseline for every supporting character.

I was however amused to learn the theme park attraction is so popular that Universal plans to open a fourth one in China next year.

Last edited:

ShortBusDriver

kiwifarms.net
Yeah there was, it was also hot on the heels of the Pirates of the Caribbean series and Depp was in a ton of movies in the few years leading up to the release so maybe people just got tired of him. Plus I think the film was marketed really badly too.

I didn't see it in theaters, but John Carter had the same problem in that they had no idea how to properly market it and it financially tanked an otherwise decent movie.

Last bomb I saw was the Guy Ritchie King Arthur flick. It was pretty bad, I can't recall much of it at all other than being bored and Jude Law chewing all the scenery apart.
I really enjoy Guy Ritchies Sherlock Holmes films but I can't really get into King Arthur. It's not good, it's not bad, it's just forgetable.

I did however like John Carter. I think it was going to be tough to make back such a massive budget with a character from the 1930s that most people had never heard of.

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
Not a bomb.
Saddest agree I’ve ever given on this site.
I really enjoy Guy Ritchies Sherlock Holmes films but I can't really get into King Arthur. It's not good, it's not bad, it's just forgetable.

I did however like John Carter. I think it was going to be tough to make back such a massive budget with a character from the 1930s that most people had never heard of.
I thought it was a pretty decent movie, too. Definitely needed a smaller budget and DEFINITELY NEEDED better marketing.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
One of the last movies I ever saw in a theater was the embarrassing Inspector Gadget in 2000. And, it was just as horrible then.
I saw that as a kid and hated it. Hell, I can't even remember why, but I just remember it discoloring my view of Matthew Broderick to the point where I have no idea why anyone casts him. He seems like such a smug, contemptible prick.

1593650428200.png

I was the only person to see this film back when it was released.

Basil II

A BOMB.
kiwifarms.net
Me and my brother saw the 2018 Tomb Raider film, there was a deadpool trailer that the Karen sitting next to us wouldn't stop laughing at "AH HEH, HEH, HEH". I fell asleep for most of the film.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Was ID4 (the first Independence Day movie) a bomb?

Saw that one when I was a kid.

Idiotron

The last sane person on Earth
kiwifarms.net
I'll list the ones I remember in chronological order:

The Shadow (1994) - decent movie, was crushed by the other releases (it had to compete with The Crow, Forrest Gump, True Lies and The Mask, how can you win against that with a pre-WWII IP?)
Baby's Day Out (1994) - my school took us to see it, watch the RLM Plinkett review of it, it's one of the worst things ever made
Dunston Checks In (1996) - another watch courtesy of my school, also one of the worst things ever made
Batman & Robin (1997) - it was amazing back then and it's amazing today
Lethal Weapon 4 (1998 ) - good stuff, was quite popular but the budget was enormous
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001) - I like it but they've made a big mistake in making a Final Fantasy movie without magic or summoned monsters
The Time Machine (2002) - good adaptation/remake, released in the wrong era (sci-fi was all "kung fu, robots and shooting guns" back then)
Sucker Punch (2011) - pretty but boring
Ender's Game (2013) - everybody praised the book so I went to see the movie, not bad but very underwhelming
Sabotage (2014) - Schwarzenegger's only good movie from the last decade... also his least profitable one
Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - great movie, should have been a >$1 billion hit, flopped because of one of the worst marketing campaigns I've ever seen (i only went to see it because the other big thing was Days of Future Past and I was disappointed by 2013's Wolverine)

Last edited:

Dwight Frye

kiwifarms.net
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001) - I like it but they've made a big mistake in making a Final Fantasy movie without magic or summoned monsters

I saw this in theaters as well. I remember thinking the CGI looked amazing, but very disappointed in it essentially just slapping the Final Fantasy name on a generic sci fi story. I think the only reference to Final Fantasy in the entire movie was a character being named Cid.

Just looked up the cast to the movie and got a laugh seeing the guy who did Seymour's voice from FFX played one of the burly badass soldiers in the movie.

Idiotron

The last sane person on Earth
kiwifarms.net
I think the only reference to Final Fantasy in the entire movie was a character being named Cid.

I disagree.
You had an almost empty post-apocalyptic Earth with a few cities here and there, weird looking enemies which re-spawn, collecting a number of McGuffins to save the day, the military oriented government official trying to solve everything by shooting at it or blowing it up (including a meteor), Gaia the Earth's energy, someone getting visions of events implanted into their brain by someone/something, a ton of stuff was lifted directly from FF7.
They just didn't have Magic and Summons (and bladed weapons, now that I think about it).

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
It's sad Depp's career bombed because I think he would be the perfect guy to play Emperor Norton I, should anyone ever bother to make a biopic of the man's life. He'd be about the right age to play him now, too.

I saw the Rocketeer after RLM reviewed it and I found it to be a much better film than I was expecting. Threw in lots of deep cut references to the time period it was set in and looked absolutely gorgeous. The same thing goes for Dick Tracy, which had interesting visual design and good supporting performances. I think the reason it and the other comic book movies didn't do so well was because they were seen as piggybacking off of Batman's success. There was just too many of them being made at one time.

As for bombs, the only bad movie I remember seeing in the Theater was The Pirate Movie: a pop musical reimagining of The Pirates of Penzance. A movie so bad it made Xanadu look like a cinematic masterpiece. I'm absolutely shocked that Cannon Films had nothing whatsoever to do with it. See how bad it is for yourself. Also I am extremely old....

I was wrong. I remember there was another bad movie I had seen in a theater: Swamp Thing (1982). My mom took me to see it and we both thought it was going to be some kind of Godzilla sized monster movie. Neither of us had seen or read anything of the comic book it was based on and so we didn't know what to expect. We both left the film disappointed because the Swamp Thing turned out to be just a guy in a rubber suit. In retrospect, I can appreciate how wonderful and cheesy the movie was. I guess, as a kid, I just hadn't developed an appetite for Camp yet.

President Joe Biden

"I Don’t Care If You Think I’m Satan Reincarnated"
kiwifarms.net
Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - great movie, should have been a >$1 billion hit, flopped because of one of the worst marketing campaigns I've ever seen (i only went to see it because the other big thing was Days of Future Past and I was disappointed by 2013's Wolverine)

They changed the name of it twice and the posters made no sense. People called it Live Die Repeat. Was really a shame, science fiction hasn't really had great movies even as CGI got better.