Box Office Bombs you saw in theatres

Frank D'arbo

There's a blurry girl at the end of my nose...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I did my list a few years back, but I remember a few others I saw back in the day that bombed and I'll add those

Scott Pilgrim
Kubo
City of Embers
Blade Runner 2049
Osmosis Jones
Iron Giant (Saw twice, once during its inital release, then a fathom events release in 2015)
Happy Time Murders
Action Point
Meet The Robinsons
The Country Bears
Bad Words (2014)
Annihilation
Jack the Giant Slayer
The Nativity Story

Last edited:

Drag-on Knight 91873

"Listen man, it's complicated."
kiwifarms.net
I avoid going to theaters these days, so this list is short.

Starship Troopers-I talked about it in the Unpopular Movies thread.

Independence Day Resurgence-At the time, I did listen to MundaneMatt, who was a Midnight's Edge guest regular, and it was before BoulderGate. So I saw this movie on his recommendation. Watching this movie led me to the--obvious--conclusion that he had absolutely no idea what he was talking about on any subject. The opening scene being like Gears of War 4 is not a good start, The movie lacks David Arnold's excellent score in favor of generic wallpaper music, and the most entertainment I got out of this movie was Brent Spiner's ass. It was so frustrating watching elements of an interesting movie like the African Warlord playing X-com 2 be in service to a movie that's a much dumber rehash of the first movie. ID4 was an exercise in efficiently executed plot points bolstered by monument models blowing up held together by the theme of David v. Goliath. The sequel is an Asylum parody of the first movie and also deepthroats China harder than Michael Bay ever did.

Bless Baby Thor though. He tries his hardest to be the Will Smith of this movie.

Ender's Game-I love the book, but can't stand the Xenocide trilogy. To me, this movie was pulled by the need to have a PG-13 rating and depicting the terrible things that happen in the book. Bonzo's death in the movie is unintentionally hilarious. Literally slips in the shower and not beaten to death in a fistfight. Likewise, sending 12 year olds to boot camp is a thing we already do sometimes. It's a much more traumatic event to happen to a 6 year old. Asa Butterfield's height bugs me. Every time he's talking to Harrison Ford, the camera is at a traditional medium height to get shot-reverse shot coverage. That is normal in most circumstances, but it actually runs counter to the conflict that Ender and Graff are supposed to have. From Ender's perspective, Graff is supposed to be an unassailable authority figure that has altered his life in ways he can't even imagine. He should be looking up to Graff as the low angle implies dominance. Graff should also be conflicted about trying to break Ender under unrealistic expectations and straight up endangering him. Ender should look like a tiny kid to him so that you know just how immoral Graff's actions are. When they're of similar height, this power imbalance does not come across on screen. To a lesser extent, it also applies to the conflict between Ender and Bonzo as well. When Bonzo is actually shorter than Ender, all it does is give Bonzo a Napolean complex without the talent.

Harrison Ford was horribly miscast on every level. Graff is a fatass from the stress of having to rush Ender through the curriculum he set up. From his perspective, the Third Invasion was almost ready to engage and there's no more time to create a Hannibal or an Alexander for a fleet admiral. I would have chosen Richard Dean Anderson. Grumpy, sardonic Fat MacGuyver would have done the job at a tenth of Harrison Ford's price and would have put more effort into the role than not at all.

Annihilation-Ex Machina built a lot of goodwill from me for everyone involved in that production, so I wanted to see another Alex Garland movie. The big takeaway I got from it was Natalie Portman is actually the off-brand version of Alicia Vikander. I'm reluctant to say this movie is bad. It's certainly strange and the cutaways back to Benedict Wong don't help the narrative flow, but it is a slow, atmospheric movie that raises lots and lots of questions. Which can be off-putting to an audience that has no interest in speculation.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
Since the last time I posted in this thread, I saw New Mutants, still the only time I've been to the cinema in the Covid era.

I enjoyed the comic as a tween but the movie was disappointing. However, this film got extensive reshoots because the original cut was supposedly much darker and also allegedly because Disney was trying to sabotage the last hanging thread of the Fox X-Universe so they could eventually reboot it all (save for Deadpool who will somehow cinematic universe-hop, probably by methods involving either the Watcher or Dr. Strange) so I'm still hopeful that a much better cut of it exists than what was shown in theatres.

Smleman303

kiwifarms.net
Since the last time I posted in this thread, I saw New Mutants, still the only time I've been to the cinema in the Covid era.

I enjoyed the comic as a tween but the movie was disappointing. However, this film got extensive reshoots because the original cut was supposedly much darker and also allegedly because Disney was trying to sabotage the last hanging thread of the Fox X-Universe so they could eventually reboot it all (save for Deadpool who will somehow cinematic universe-hop, probably by methods involving either the Watcher or Dr. Strange) so I'm still hopeful that a much better cut of it exists than what was shown in theatres.
They actually didn't get to do reshoots that were meant to happen so it was as it was from 2017.

Product Placement

kiwifarms.net

You are wrong, the movie was meant to get reshoots to make it more like the trailer which was darker than the actual movie and the trailer was well-liked when it first came out which is why Fox wanted the reshoots. The rewrites were done and ready, adding more characters which were cast such as John Hamm as Mister Sinister. The reshoots were planned to happen in mid-2018 but those were pushed back when Fox pushed the date back so it wouldn't be near Deadpool and then later Dark Phoenix.

Reshoots just never happened and Disney ended up owning Fox, Disney passed on reshoots as they didn't want to put more money into the movie they had no faith in from the cut they saw and the cast all looked older since it was shot in 2017.

The movie didn't even end up getting the normal pick up shots which is normal in most Hollywood movies. Another issue was that by the time Disney bought Fox only 75% of the film was edited hadn't been touched in a while, the editors it did have already moved on by then meaning the movie had to be finished by someone else.

So less Disney to blame more Fox fucking around before the Disney buy out.

Last edited:

trailcamwhore

kiwifarms.net
I had the whole theater for myself, it was wonderful.
The only movie I ever saw alone in a big theater (with scarily overhanging balconies and red asbestos curtains and everything) was Drawing Restraint 9. Best way to see it...

...but the film broke immediately and the first couple minutes were destroyed, so I didn't see that part until the DVD came out.

But still.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
I did my list a few years back, but I remember a few others I saw back in the day that bombed and I'll add those

Scott Pilgrim
Kubo
City of Embers
Blade Runner 2049
Osmosis Jones
Iron Giant (Saw twice, once during its inital release, then a fathom events release in 2015)
Happy Time Murders
Action Point
Meet The Robinsons
The Country Bears
Bad Words (2014)
Annihilation
I just rewatched Osmosis Jones recently. The live action sequences were the weakest point for it, but I like the animated sections.

Hugbox Kommissar

You wouldn't download an ideology
kiwifarms.net
Blade Runner 2049. I had the whole theater for myself, it was wonderful.
I saw Dredd that way. Great action and soundtrack and actually made good use of 3d. 👌

Other bombs I saw in theaters:
John Carter (loved it)
Fantastic Four 2015 (impressively bad)
X-Men: Dark Phoenix (hilarious, but probably not in the way the studio intended)